Sunday, September 6, 2009

Steve: The S L O W

So Steve (date #4).

I have been talking to Steve for FOREVER (which actually amounts to 3 weeks). We weren't actually talking but rather texting. It took everything (and still does) I had not to take charge of our "dating/getting to know you" time line. I have to say that I understand he is laid back and a little less driven than I am, but COME on!

So finally, he gets around to suggesting we meet up. I'm thrilled bc I have been thinking about cutting him out of the running. I was nervous that I would form an attachment to him via text which is NOT, in my opinion, a healthy relationship foundation. Anyway, so we agree to meet on thursday (of this last week) but I don't know the where or when. Well I did say coffee date so I knew it would be casualish.

I wait and wait. We set this up Sunday. We briefly text on Monday. Then again on Wednesday during nap. But by the time I left work Wednesday at 10:30 I still didn't know where or time of our meeting. I was angry (yes that's right, mad). So I (very politely...thank God tone is easy to conceal via text) text him and told him I NEEDED to know what we were doing. (Sigh, if only I could be the "man" in the relationship at this point.) Well I didn't hear from him until Thursday morning with a profound apology for falling asleep and not calling me after I got off work.

So we met at the Panera (yep, why change a good thing) at town center. First impression: He is a BAD dresser! He was wearing this weird button down and cords. To borrow a phrase from Dom (my 3 year old I nanny), "not good, not tasty at all". BUT, I can always change that later.

So we sat down for coffee and chatted for 2 hours. We had spent such a significant amount of time texting that we both knew basics. He graduated from KU with a psych degree. I'm not sure that I'm able to see where his faith really is yet but its there enough to keep exploring. He is a little weird. He is in THREE fantasy football leagues and is pretty geeked out over college basketball. He practices cursive (for self enrichment) with a friend of his one night a week. (I know this is weird and you are all probably expecting more of an explanation here but there just really isn't one. He practices cursive.Period. End. Stop.)

So yeah, it started to get cold so I said I had to jam. I asked him how he thought it went and he said well. We are going to go out again (but OF COURSE we don't have a date set, sigh). Hopefully it will be sooner than later bc my schedule is gonna get hectic with weddings and out of town family jazz. But regardless the night ended with a hug and a plan for a future. When I got home I got a text that said he had a lot of fun and thanking me for meeting him. Sweet. So we will see. I'll keep you all posted!

3 comments:

  1. Cursive - man that is weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! So glad you sent me the link. I have to say though I am really laughing about the cursive. OH and the dressing no dear most likely you can not change it later. A still will not wear button down shirts and refuses to allow me to buy him clothes! Still wearing shirts from college!

    ReplyDelete